Do any of you writers listen to music as a form of inspiration?
I have certain albums and songs that I use as inspiration because they put me in the mood of a certain scene or what a certain character may be feeling at a point in time in the story.
Some of the albums that I listen to are (and please don’t pick on me for the choices):
– Bat Out Hell III: The Monster Is Loose by Meat Loaf
– Hang Cool Teddy Bear by Meat Loaf
– Cradlesong by Rob Thomas
– Something To Be by Rob Thomas
– The Heroin Diaries by Sixx:A.M.
– This Is Gonna Hurt by Sixx:A.M.
– Human Fragility by Hunters & Collectors
– Metallica by Metallica
And some songs that I listen to are:
– The Unforgiven III by Metallica
– You Ruin Me by the Veronicas
– Crimson and Clover by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
– Fire On the Mountain by Rob Thomas
– I’m On Fire by Bruce Springsteen
– Iris by The Goo Goo Dolls
– Scandal by Queen
– Nothing Else Matters by Metallica
– For Whom The Bell Tolls by Metallica
– Hearing Damaged by Thom Yorke (I tend to listen to this one while editing)
There’s lots more songs and a few more albums that I listen to when I’m writing. I have a playlist for each of the two stories that I’m writing and some of the songs I listen to are in both playlists. A lot of the songs and albums can be seen as dealing with dark subjects but I think the stories are dark in themselves. Both stories deal with dark subjects such as horror, grief, trauma, murder and maybe a serial killer or two ( I don’t want to give away too much at the moment and there is a chance I may have a slight morbid fascination with serial killers).
I know that there are a few writers out there who can’t listen to music at all during their writing process and that there’s some who only listen to music when editing or just writing.